Carta Liquidity: Track Options in Your Portfolio
Option holders can now see the value of their vested, unexercised options using market prices based on our proprietary Reference Price Range. With just a quick look, option holders can also see potential gains from the exercise and sale of options in their portfolio on Carta.
Interested in realizing the gains in exercising and selling your options? Click on the Sell button to start the process of exercising and selling your shares.
What metrics are available and how are they calculated?
Options are displayed alongside any other equity shareholders have in their portfolio for a given company. See our previous release note for the full list of portfolio metrics.
- Mark: A mark is the price used to value a holding. Your holdings are marked to the lower bound of the Reference Price Range, if Carta has calculated one for the company.
- Shares: Number of vested common and preferred shares currently held, as well as vested, unexercised options.
- Basis: Total cost paid divided by the number of shares; for options, the cost to exercise divided by the number of shares.
Value of shares: Value of shares at the mark. Calculation: Mark * Shares
- Unrealized gains: Unrealized gain (or loss) in value at the mark compared to your purchase price. An unrealized ("paper") gain has not been actualized, but can be by exercising your options and selling the underlying shares for more than the strike price. Calculation: Value of shares - (Basis * Shares)
Learn more about how options are taxed
How does it work?
You can view and identify to a Carta representative how many shares underlying your options you’d like to sell on Carta:
- Log into Carta’s Secondary Marketplace.
- View your holdings on the “My holdings” tab.
- Click on the “Sell” button to submit your indication of interest to sell your holdings.
- Identify the number of options you’d like to exercise and then to sell on the modal.
Who is this available to?
This is only available to Carta Liquidity customers. At this time, only Accredited Investors who qualify as Institutional Accounts can purchase securities and only Accredited Investors can sell securities via Carta Liquidity.
If you’re interested in learning more about Carta Liquidity and get access to the platform, please reach out to email@example.com or your account manager.
Disclaimer: Carta, through its wholly owned broker-dealer subsidiary, Carta Capital Markets, LLC, offers a streamlined experience for executing pre-negotiated stock transfers, tender offers, and other secondary liquidity transactions. Carta Capital Markets, LLC is a member of FINRA/SIPC.
The mark displayed by Carta does not represent an executable price or bid/ask spread and does not reflect any market premium/discounts. The fair market value or executable price, if any, for any security may be higher or lower than the provided price. Many unregistered equity securities are subject to transfer restrictions that may limit transfers at any price.
The mark, Reference Price, and Reference Price Range are not investment advice or a recommendation to transact at any price and should not be your primary basis for determining the value of any security.